Luke 11:1-13 “And it came to pass, that, as he was praying in a certain place, when he ceased, one of his disciples said unto him, Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples. 2 And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth. 3 Give us day by day our daily bread. 4 And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil. 5 And he said unto them, Which of you shall have a friend, and shall go unto him at midnight, and say unto him, Friend, lend me three loaves; 6 For a friend of mine in his journey is come to me, and I have nothing to set before him? 7 And he from within shall answer and say, Trouble me not: the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot rise and give thee. 8 I say unto you, Though he will not rise and give him, because he is his friend, yet because of his importunity he will rise and give him as many as he needeth. 9 And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. 10 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. 11 If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? 12 Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? 13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?”
Prayer. How do you pray?
In order to learn how to pray, there must be desire. The best one to teach you how to pray is the one who is discipling you.
Don’t practice ‘vain repetitions’. Don’t just say the same thing over and over and over again. It’s not reciting stuff that someone else wrote. It’s not reading from a script as fast as you can. There’s heaven meeting earth. Emotion is involved, passion is involved. God responds to desire.
Quitting doesn’t get the job done. Don’t give up. Keep praying. Keep knocking. Keep asking.
Jesus, when asked how to pray, gave His disciples an outline. You don’t say those words. Pray the way you speak normally. If you don’t know what you’re doing, you really aren’t praying.
- Praise first. ‘Our Father which art in heaven, hallowed be thy name.’ You don’t start with repentance. Address who you’re praying to—the one and only Creator, Your heavenly Father. He is sitting on the throne right now. You can call Him Father or Jesus. He is God, Lord. Address Him and then praise Him. He is awesome and you need to praise His nature, His Name, Who He is. Leave self out of it for now. Tell Him you love Him. Thank Him. You enter His gates with thanksgiving and His courts with praise. The Tabernacle plan of Moses has as the first thing entering the gates and the courts. Then, you give the sacrifice. Praise the Lord first. Judah means praise. Let Judah (praise) go first.
- Surrender. ‘Thy kingdom come, thy will be done in earth as it is in heaven.’ You acknowledge that heaven is different from earth. You want it to happen in earth as it is in heaven. This is surrender. You are not God. He is. He is king. Let Him rule and reign. There is no death or sickness in heaven. There is no evil. Let His kingdom come. Let it be in YOU. Let God’s kingdom come here in your life. He is God and in charge. Put yourself under subjection to Him. Humble yourself right after praise. Call out the things that are your will, and acknowledge that you want His will instead. This might be a good time for repentance. ‘Forgive me for pushing my way. I want Your way.’ Let His will be done in this earthen vessel, just like Jesus did when He said, ‘Nevertheless, not my will, but thy will be done.’
- Listen to God. ‘Give us this day our daily bread.’ Ponder His Word. Read Psalms or Isaiah or Acts. This isn’t a time to study. This is a time to get your Daily Word from God.
- Repent. ‘Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who have sinned against us.’ Forgive them as God has forgiven you. This is a daily battle. Those hurts can go deep. Forgiveness allows the other to go free and you get up on the cross instead. Jesus forgave you and died on the cross for you. When you refuse to forgive someone, they hold onto your victory. When you forgive, you take back your victory. Salvation matters when it comes to forgiveness.
- Spiritual warfare, Intercession. ‘Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.’ You’re out of the way now. You can walk in authority now. God is God now. Because you’ve gotten yourself out of the way you can command things. Healing, miracles, etc. happen after humility and a realization of Who God is and who you are. If you don’t know what to pray for, pray in tongues. Allow the Holy Ghost to make intercession with you and even for you. God wants to bless you, but you must be in position.
Don’t get full of junk food from the world so you can’t eat what God has for you. His life is so much better. God is calling you deeper. Come into a place with God that you can pray things into existence.
Let go of stuff and believe God for crazy stuff. He’ll do it because He wants it too. God can move. That’s the kind of intercessory prayer that God wants.
End with Praise. It’s the bread that sandwiches prayer.
Jesus has deliverance for the bound and healing for the sick. Stand up and get with Jesus. Crucify the flesh. Get after the things of the Spirit.
Excerpted from a sermon preached by Pastor Anthony LoCascio.
For the full YouTube audio/video, click here.
If you are looking for an Apostolic Pentecostal church and are in the Chicagoland area, come check out The Life Church located at 3030 Central Road in Glenview, IL. Services are Sundays at 1pm and Wednesdays at 7pm. We would love to see you there!